Who hasn't seen it: the famous movie The Sound of Music! The film is of course based on the Von Trapp family and despite the many historical inaccuracies we enjoy it massively when this film appears again on TV during Christmas. The songs have become classics (Do-Re-Mi, Edelweiss), and we've all thought that you can make new clothes out of curtains, right? If you want the full Sound of Music experience you have to go to Salzburg, where the film was shot.
The locals in Salzburg themself don’t have all that much with the film, but fortunately; the Sound of Music lover can indulge themselves here. These are the places you should visit:
- The Benedictine Convent on Nonnberg: here the nuns sing 'Maria'.
- Mirabell Gardens and Mirabell Palace: Maria and the children sing Do-Re-Mi
- Residenz Square and Residenz Fountain: Maria crosses Residenz Square in a bus when she is on the way from Nonnberg Concentrate to the Trapp Villa, while she sings "I have confidence in me,".
- Felsenreitschule: here the Trapp family is singing their farewell song and Baron von Trapp sang Edelweiss. This is the moment when your grandmother has to cry.
- St. Peter's Cemetery: here the dramatic fight scenes were filmed
- Leopoldskron Palace: this is the Von Trapp house.
- The Sound of Music Pavillon: this can now be found in Hellbrunn Palace. One of the most famous and romantic scenes is filmed here. "I am 16 going on 17".
Other scenes are filmed outside the city, such as Anif Palace, Hohenwerfen Castles, Mondsee, Fuschl, St. Gilgen and Lake Wolfgang.